top of page


Part 1

Manual draft


Create a 3D object.

Create a commercial using the 3D object intended for consumers looking for the desired object (Or for the Ride racing video games)

Subject: Honda Monkey

Reference Images


History and Background

During the 70's and 80's Honda released their Z-series motorcycles which were powered by 49cc engines. If you don't know what cc's are, "cc" is the size of an engine in cubic centimeters, not to be confused with horsepower measurement. Essentially, the larger the cc number, the bigger the motorcycle. Being a 49cc engine, these motorcycles were like toys in size. Spectators would comment that these z riders looked like monkeys hence, "Honda Monkey" became its official name.

The Monkey, also known as the Z50, was imported to the U.S. in 1968. Fast forward after years of refining, adding parts to make this bike street-legal, and discontinues, The Honda Grom was released in 2014 which was a more sporty version and durable modern evolution of the Monkey. It was not until recently in 2018 did Honda revive the Monkey once again with LEDs and digital instruments.

Grom vs. Monkey Comparison


Project Plan and Approach

Using Maya, I plan to box model as much as I can for the base of the motorcycle, most likely the back-end. Below is a blueprint I will use. Unfortunately, this blueprint is the clearest image but of the 2018 Monkey compared to the 2019 version images above. But they are both pretty similar.

I will most likely choose the red color Monkey over the yellow. 

Texturing and rendering will use Pixar's Renderman.



If there is time left over after building the model, I will probably set the motorcycle in a well light garage like in Ride 3's menu selection.


Additional Reference Images


Images taken by me. Shot on iPhone 8.

Part 2




3D Model

The above images of the model are rendered in occlusion integrator through Pixar's Renderman.

"PxrOcclusion is a non-photorealistic integrator that can be used to render ambient occlusion, among other effects."


Wireframe Mode

The poly count numbers are in the left-hand corner of the image. As one can see, this model is not a game-friendly model. I decided to take more time modeling the Monkey in accuracy over"faking" poly count using textures which is usually the method for models in video games.


Beginning Texturing

To render textures, PxrPathtracer is used instead of occlusion mode. I had only one light set up which is why this quick render is not as bright as compared to occlusion. I decided to choose the red version of the Monkey rather than the original yellow.

In order to get the "chrome" look that the motorcycle has, I plan to use an HDRI. Without an environment, the chrome look is unable to be fully realized because what is bouncing off in ray-tracing is currently a black environment.


The main problem to attend to is creating an environment for the chrome shader since chrome is essentially like a mirror. With nothing to reflect, chrome ends up black (or white) in final renders. I decided to build an environment around The Monkey. I quickly modeled a small garage similar to the Ride 3 menu garage.

I plan to have sunlight come through tall windows on the side where the couch and table are. For beauty shots, it will be similar to where the sample video starts and ends. This way the bike isn't backlit.


As a back up if there isn't enough time to texture the environment, I will still have an HDRI reflecting the chrome, but instead place the motorcycle in a plain grey background like a boxed room.

Part 3




Beauty shots with Environment Textures


Beauty shots without Environment Textures


Final Renders

There are two sets of renders provided. The beauty shots with the environment textures provide a sense of life around the motorcycle. The other set of renders have the focus primarily on the motorcycle rather than the environment.


There were multiple challenges in completing this project. The main challenge were the windows. Renderman has a different lighting system compared to Arnold. HDRIs and the PxrEnvDayLight (a dome light that can control sun position, ex: daylight or sunset) were not able to be visible in the final render image. The windows were transparent.

To solve this issue I decided to create a plane and place an image of a sunset in order to "fake" an environment beyond the room without having to composite a background using Nuke or Photoshop. I set the plane geometry to not show shadows. This way, the PxrEnvDayLight can still shine through the windows.

The other challenge was having the logos on the motorcycle while also having the original texture beneath it. Luckily Renderman has its own node network called "PxrLayerSurface" which made it possible to combine the texture underneath with the images I wanted. During this process, I had to learn more about UVing and revisit alpha masks which were fun but also taxing on time.

bottom of page